High places or bamah in scripture, are places of worship.It was the Canaanites who originally set up these places of worship. Over time, the Israelites set them up after fleeing Jerusalem and Judah. Reading through I and II Kings or I and II Chronicles, we see different kings setting them up and others tearing them down.
In some cases a king would repent, and turn to God, but would not take down these pagan areas or worship. Asa (II Chron 15:17) was one such King of Judah. He removed his mother from the throne…”But the high places were not removed from Isreal.” Jehoshaphat served God, yet we read, “Nevertheless, the high places were not taken away… (II Chron 20:33).” On the other hand, Hezekiah cleansed the temple and he did take down the high places.
Even though Hezekiah was a Godly man, his son Manasseh rebuilt the high-places and made more idols – perhaps he was influenced by his grandfather in some way. Later in his life he does repent, however it would seem that he did not destroy the idols and high-places because his son Amon worshiped the idols his father had made (II Chron. 33:22).
Josiah reformed the nation – and in his repentance, he not only removed the idols, but he also ground them up and sprinkled the dust on the graves of those who worshiped pagan god’s.
What Are Your High Places
High places in the Old Testament are places that the pagan cultures set up for worship. Israel might have said, “I know this isn’t what God set up, but it’s the only way we can worship since the split between Israel and Judah. What are the high-places in our education and business world? Consider some of the things that just seem to be the only way…
- The only way to help people with healthcare is to become a doctor – and that requires lots of higher education.
- Everyone needs a college degree, even if it means going into debt.
- You can’t get a good job without a degree. You can’t make money without a good job. Therefore, you need a degree.
- If a mother chooses to stay home to homeschool and raise children, she must not be capable of holding down a job.
- People with degrees always make more money.
- Teachers with textbooks are the only people you can learn from.
- The study of philosophy and worldly psychology are part of a well rounded education.
- You need years of experience before you can start a business.
- You have to start at the bottom and then move up.
- You can’t start a business without an MBA
- You can’t start a business unless you’re special.
- You can’t start a business without a million dollar idea.
- YOU – can’t start a business. YOU – can’t write a book. Only special people can do something special, and you’re not one of them.
These are all lies – which ones are you believing?
© 2013, David Stelzl